Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Conglomeration Of Cynicism And Hope

American soldiers are worse than Al Qaeda extremists, the chief attorney for the Westboro Baptist Church claimed over the weekend...

This is not the headline one wants to wake up to on a Monday morning. As I browsed through the HuffPost story, I had "Where Is The Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas echoing in my head:

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurtin, you hear them cryin'
Can you practice what you preach
And would you turn the other cheek

Father, Father, Father help us
Send us some guidance from above
'Cause people got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love (Love)

 
Last week my dad ask me, with all the political influence I've been under lately, what are some of the key things I've learned since being in Washington? I was caught a little off guard by the question, but I've since thought it through and come up with these points.

1) It's all about how you market yourself.  Although my internship encourages me to introduce myself as a reporter, I've found that being a 'student' gets me a lot of free passes. Whenever I'm trying to get into an event, I use my press credentials and act big and macho like I know what I'm doing. But if I ever find myself out of my element, nothing gets me friends faster than a sheepish grin and an "I just moved here, still learning the ropes."

2) My 8th grade government book didn't tell the whole truth. Yes, the American system of democracy is innovative and one-of-a-kind. But. It is also flawed and corrupt. What I see in Washington is a city of robotic, sly, out-of-touch politicians and staffers who attempt to run a problematic country on an idealistic system of government. Cynical right? I know! But it's true! The politicians I've listened to have been in 'The big city' so long, they have forgotten what it is like for an average worker who spends over 40 hours a week directing traffic, running a small business, or talking care of a family. 

3) Where is the love? Wikipedia defines love as "an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment." In a philosophical context, it says love is a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection. Although I do think that Washington often forgets their kindness and compassion, I always find a contradiction in my most cynical moments. I went t a pen and pad yesterday with House Majority Leader Eric Cantor. And as the gaggle of reporters piled together in the tiny room, waiting for Cantor, jokes and introductions wove their way through the crowd. And upon hearing I was "new to the area", some reporters ran the gauntlet with me, introducing me to their peers and friends in the room. It was an incredible glimpse of the community of reporters who compete with each other by day, but find solace and companionship in their professional community. 


So although I have been in the Washington doldrums recently, I implore you to hang in there with me. Because with every thunderous storm cloud comes a chance to dance in the rain. 


More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! You know... you can't really trust wikipedia (collaboration and sharing etc.) so their definition of LOVE may be inappropriate lol. Is there such thing as a definition of love for politicians and staffers? (Bipartisanship maybe? hehe) I really enjoy your perspective, and even though cynicism may overcome you at times try to see the silver lining.

    There is some to truth to the fact that we as a nation face a flawed, outmoded, and oppressive system. Yet, we can not escape it... as for changing it??? I'll quote Margaret Mead, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has."

    Simply beautiful!

    As for doldrums and thunder storm clouds, i say continue to fully appreciate the gifts and insights they afford you. P.S. let's rain dance!

    ReplyDelete