Sunday, March 6, 2011

Shame On Me

Wowww three weeks since my last post? Inconceivable!

In my defense, not much has been going on here in DC. Oh....despite the Middle East falling into chaos, Wisconsin collective bargaining rights being threatened, and a potential government shutdown. All in a days work!

Each of these events have caused minor shake ups here in the nation's capitol. But for the most part, people remain relatively unconcerned and nonchalant about the precarious political situation of the U.S. and the world. Interesting isn't it? One would think that living in the apex of American democracy, the people of Washington DC would be stressed out nut-cases, constantly wondering what next world event will shudder through their town.

On the contrary though, they handle each situation with ease and calm collectivity. It is an enviable trait I've been trying to emulate. With little success.

My weeks have finally formed into something of a schedule. Mondays and Fridays are usually pretty relaxed because there is not much activity on Capitol Hill. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays are filled with committee hearings, pen and pad sessions, and press briefings. At each of these I'm expected to take notes, pictures, and videos which are published on the website.

The events are still exciting to watch, but in some regards are losing the glamor they held when I first arrived here. At some point, I began realizing that politicians rarely change their views on issues. Even if it means sacrificing the good of their constituents or party. This is really unfortunate and disheartening because they often take a very loooong time to even begin negotiating some sort of middle point. Which results in hearings being monotonous and relentlessly partisan or argumentative.

But on a lighter note! Spring has finally descended upon us, bringing with it torrents of rain mixed with lazy high temperature days. Many weekends I'll roll out of bed, grab a book and a cup of coffee, and huddle under a tree in the park next to my house. Weekends are all about recuperation in my eyes!

I have heard from many friends back home and each little note, email, text, and call brightens my days, I miss you all very much.

More to come!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel, I'm a long time friend of your mom's. Wondering, is your comment about politicians holding ground on their views equally valid for Democrats as well as Republicans? Enjoying your posts! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to share this with our NMBA membership and office staff. I think I will even encourage my contact at the NAB to blog on......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy, glad you're enjoying the blog. I would say both parties equally dig in their heels on certain issues. Often it is like watching two kids fight over a Tonka truck: both pull in opposite directions until one gets too fatigued to pull anymore.

    Simply put, I have observed that Democrats seem to think on a larger scale of how action (or non-action) will effect the country as a whole, whereas Republicans focus primarily on how negotiations will effect their base of supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From youthful idealist to burned out cynic in two short months? I hope not! Still it must be frustrating to watch our leaders fritter away their time and energy in "relentlessly partisan" bickering. Thanks again for sharing your observations with us.

    ReplyDelete