Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Arrival

Oh my goodness! My Washington DC adventure has finally begun! I woke this morning at the dreadful hour of 4am to catch my flight out of Albuquerque. (I say 'woke' but is it really considered waking up if one doesn't sleep from anxious nerves?) The frigid air was not a welcome sensation as the family and I hauled my three ENORMOUS bags out to the car. So much for packing light.

The flight to DC (routed through Chicago) was rather uneventful. I rendezvoused with my new roommate, Rachel Christensen in Chicago and we spent out three hour layover getting to know each other. So far we hit it off really well and enjoy talking about our upcoming adventures and aspirations.

Upon arrival at Dulles Airport, we retrieved our bags and proceed to locate the Super Shuttle, which would take us to our Washington Intern Student Housing (WISH: http://www.internsdc.com/) accommodations. We loaded the shuttle and ask the driver to take us first to the WISH office to pick up our keys, then drop us off at our house. The driver replied with a gruff "No". Rachel and I sat in the back of the shuttle, among ten other riders, and wondered how we were going to pick up our keys, and also get all of our six bags to the apartment. The office and the apartment are six blocks away. Problem.

After a tense twenty minute drive, and two stops later, the driver pulled up in front of the office to drop us off. As Rachel pleaded with the driver to take us the rest of the way home, I darted to the pffice and grabbed our house keys. Many smiles and $20 dollars convinced the driver we were worth the rest of his time. I think we got ripped off, but at least we made it safely to our apartment! Just the first of many adventures I'm sure =)

We have been summoned to the Talk Radio News (http://www.talkradionews.com/) office tomorrow at 3p for orientation. But before then I have a large shopping list to fulfill, including groceries, a hairbrush, and a PILLOW.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment