Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gettin My Groove On

Hola amigos! I tried saying that to some friends here in DC and they had no idea what I was doing. Apparently people on the East coast don't speak sporadic Spanish....good to know.

Wednesday! Midweek! Humpday! It has been an insightful couple of days. Yesterday I covered my first press conference. I went to the US Chamber of Commerce's State of American Business address. It was very interesting, and incredibly conservative leaning. After the address there was a press conference, where the CEO answered questions. Here is the link to the story I wrote after the address.This story gave me my first glimpse and the harsh side of the red editor's pen. The guy who edited my piece took a few bits and pieces of my attempt (mainly the quotes) and then wrote the story from a completely different angle. It was fascinating to see him form a completely different story from my information. It was also a good reminder of what I'm here to learn!

 Today I covered another press conference over the Natl. Alliance Against Homelessness. Did you know that between 2008 and 2009 the population of homeless people increased almost 3%? I didn't either! After the editing encounter from yesterday, I spent a long time writing this story before handing it over. I'm pleased to say that after a few minimal red pen marks, it was posted. This kid is coach-able! So here is the link to that story, which is much more of an original piece than my Commerce story =)

My new favorite people are cameramen. I stood with them at both events. They are very relaxed and easygoing. And they let you plug your recorder into their audio box! In general, they seem to be fairly normal and not as high-strung as reporters or politicians. Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work....

Tomorrow I'm covering a meeting about the new South Korean Trade Agreement that is being discussed. And I hope to post more pictures soon.

More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I really liked the Homelessness story :) It read like your writing. Keep updating!

    ReplyDelete