Sunday, January 16, 2011

View From The Bottom

Ahhhhhh!!! I know, it's been four days since my last blog. Wayyy too much time. And the more time I spend not writing, the more things pile up for me to say! What an awful quandary.

On the internship front, the remainder of last week went very similar to the beginning. I am beginning to form a routine at the office. It primarily starts with an event of some kind in the morning (Congressional hearing, panel discussion, press conference etc.), at the even I take notes on the topic, perhaps ask some questions, and record the event on my audio recorder. Then I return to the office where I write the news story based off my notes and th initial draft is turned into my editor.

The editing process which my pieces go through is incredibly transforming. Occasionally, I do not recognize the stories as my own work when they return from the editor.I enjoy the editing process, because learning to be a better writer is why I came here. However, it is also a little frustrating. It is frustrating because I don't get to watch them edit, they don't like you watching over their shoulder. Therefore, I cannot watch their thought process play out. By the time I get the piece back, it is completely redone, but I am not learning how they are coming to the think of the revisions.

I have somewhat circumnavigated this by continually refreshing my computer while they are editing, but it is still not the same as discussing the changes they are making. Hopefully as time passes I will become more proficient at not only writing, but also picking apart their edits to learn more about the writing thought process.

I am definitely getting a good look at the hierarchy of journalism.

Here is my story from Thursday, about the Korea-U.S. free trade agreement. This story was the funnest I've written so far. Learning about the free trade agreement was intriguing, and I came to the conclusion that I do not agree with it. But that is for another blog =) Surprisingly, this story was relatively unedited, and I was pretty excited about that. I'm coach-able!

This is a short piece I did about a speech Clinton made of Friday. My editor said it was well written, but then proceeded to edit it down quite a bit =P What does that MEAN?!

MLK festivities tomorrow, I'm gonna make a day of it!

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment