Saturday, January 22, 2011

City Social Scenes

Remember when I said I was going to write every two days or so? HA I should be a stand up comedian. I never stopped to consider that after continuously writing for TRNS, I would be tired of the process by the end of the day! Unfortunately that is often the case. BUT I am committed to this blog, and will not let it be another of my two-week-lasting commitments!

Nothing to exciting happened at work this week. I do feel like my writing skills are getting more and more honed and I continue to end the day with a brain chalk full of new information. Since it was a somewhat uneventful week at work, I'm just going to give the headlines and hyper-links to my stories in case you want to go check them out.

Instead of work, I'd like to focus this post on some of the vibrant cultural experiences I've had in this city. Last Monday was MLK Day and this city pulls out all the stops! There were performances/speeches/shows everywhere from the Lincoln Memorial to the National Cathedral. But there were no parades...point for Portales! My friends and I decided to attend a show at the Kennedy Center cause sounded fun, featured Patti LaBelle...and was free. So three of us waited in line for about two hours to get tickets for the rest of our group (nine total). I'd say we got the short end of the stick wouldn't you? =)

Me, Kaitlyn, and Abby in line at the Kennedy Center

The show was phenomenal, it gave me goosebumps. The Let Freedom Ring Choir sang and the acoustics of the building beautifully amplified their layered voices. At the risk of getting thrown out of the show (not really Mom), I took this video of one of their opening songs. Exclusive content for my wonderful blog followers!



This is me at the Lincoln Memorial before heading to the concert

Hall Of Nations at the Kennedy Center

 Stage before the performance


Today (1/22) I went with a group from my house (Folger House) to the Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was by far the most incredible museum experience I've ever had. The presentation, the architecture, the content, everything about the museum was fascinating and informative. If you ever make it to the DC area, that is the one thing that you cannot miss. 

We were not allowed to take pictures in the exhibit, but these are a few of the group. They are all interns here in DC and are the people I spend the majority of my non-working time with. 

Peter (marketing/comm intern at Development Gateway) and Eric (Intern for S.D. senator)

  Me, Claire (from Canada, interning with Canadian Embassy) and Abby (interning at the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation)

 The Folger Kids in front of the Holocaust Museum

Peter and me in our unintentionally matching green sweaters


This upcoming week is a very exciting one, I'll be at the Sate of the Union Address!!! Not sure yet if I'll actually be in the gallery or not but I'll definitely be waiting in Statuary Hall to interview members of Congress as they leave. WooHoo!

So that's what's been happening here on the East coast! Still a bit cool, but warmer than when I arrived. We are supposed to get a cold front coming through soon though, brrrrrr. If any of you would like to write me, I would love to hear from you! And I love mail!! You can drop me a note at
411 2nd St. SE
Washington DC 20003
More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment